A good friend of mine is looking for an Executive Pastor to work with him at his church in Portland, Maine. This is a great opportunity to live in an awesome city that desperately needs the gospel and work with a great Acts 29 Network church. Check out description below and reach out to Angel Silva with more questions.
Missio Dei Church is Hiring!
If you find yourself reading this, then chances are you’re looking to invest your life into the lives of
others. Our passion is the same. Our vision is to see Jesus elevated in the lives of our people and
community in such a way that the lost get found and communities experience transformation. What
we need to help with that process is an organizational maven who can kill the details. If you’re that
guy, please, keep reading!
To provide executive leadership and organizational management to all ministries, staff, and
volunteers within Missio Dei Church.
We seek to implement our vision to make disciples that make disciples in the greater Portland area
with more efficiency, order, and effectiveness. The Executive Pastor will contribute to this by creating,
implementing, and sustaining systems and structures that will support our vision from both an
organizational and pastoral perspective. He will oversee all staff and volunteer leaders, providing both
coaching and assistance to empower those leaders to lead well from an organizational perspective.
He will also work closely with the Elders and Lead Pastor to develop future leaders specifically in the
areas of organization and effectiveness.
1. A clear, active and growing commitment to Jesus resulting in a gospel centered life.
2. Must meet the qualifications of an Elder as laid out in 1 Timothy and Titus.
3. Demonstrated ability to provide organizational leadership from a pastoral perspective
4. Education or experience that supports the role of Executive Pastor.
1. A pastor’s heart with a passion for executive leadership
2. Organizational aptitude with a sensitivity and focus on heart level transformation.
3. Working knowledge of Quickbooks, Excel, The City, and Google products would be helpful.
5. Team player.
6. Multi-Service experience would be helpful.
7. Awareness and enjoyment of trends in organizational management in churches and church plants.
8. Organized and able to help others get organized.
9. Able to teach/preach when needed.
10. The ability to see the big picture while focussing on the details of ministry.
1. Maintain a strong personal faith and walk with Jesus Christ knowing that you only lead as deeply
as you live.
2. Seek opportunities to live missionally in your surrounding neighborhood or culture.
3. Build and manage teams to bring vision into reality.
4. Responsible for providing leadership and support for all team leaders that function on Sunday
5. Support the leadership development process by developing and implementing a coaching system
for volunteers and staff with administrative/organizational aspects of their leadership.
6. Implement the vision by creating and sustaining reproducible processes for new ministries and
train those who will be using them, while ensuring ongoing support.
7. Invest in the organizational culture of MDC by working with the Lead Pastor to train and develop
new people in the area of organizational management and practical leadership.
8. Responsible for oversight of facilities and other material assets of MDC .
9. Provide regular evaluations and coaching for all ministries and ministry leaders for ongoing ministry
and leadership effectiveness, including annual elder evaluations.
10. Serve as staff liaison with the MDC ministry Team Leads, providing oversight and leadership in
terms of best practices.
11. Implement the logistical aspects of annual church processes, calendar, and planning.
12. Set clear goals that line up with our vision and evaluate how those goals were met regularly.
Missio Dei Church was planted in 2004 as a part of the Acts 29 Network. We are a young church,
with roughly one third of our total attendance of 140 being children under 12 years of age. We
currently meet in the East End School which is on the peninsula of Portland, overlooking Casco Bay
on one side and the Back Bay on the other. It is our hope to secure our own 24/7 space in the next
several years within Portland City limits. Yet, before we do that, we will consider multiplying Sunday
worship services, something that we feel we cannot well do without an Executive Pastor. We have a
strong team of lay leaders that serve across different ministry fronts providing an exceptional level of
leadership for a small New England church. Missio Dei is an Elder led church who has learned the
value of leading within the context of a larger leadership team made up of both women and men from
Missio Dei Church is located in the heart of Portland, the largest city in Maine. For a small coastal
New England community, Portland has significant cultural diversity as many refugees now call
Portland home. In regards to ministry opportunity Maine has become a state of unreached people.
Between Gallup polls and Pew Research surveys, Maine is consistently ranked among the least
Christian states in the union, providing those who serve here with a great sense of purpose. Yet, not
only is Portland a great place to do ministry, it is also a great place to live and raise a family. With a
thriving art scene, year-round recreation, beautiful coastal landscapes and more restaurants per
capita (230 total) than any other U.S. city, it’s clear why Portland is currently ranked 23rd on
Livability.com as one of the top 100 cities to live in.
Salary and Benefits:
● Salary and Housing allowance commensurate with experience – This is a full time role
● Cell phone budget
● Ministry expense account
● Health Care for you and your family through Liberty HealthShare
● Four weeks of paid vacation, plus all holidays as defined by the elders
● Flexible hours. On average 50 hour work week
● Freedom to work remotely at the discretion of the Lead Pastor
● The joy of making disciples in a beautiful and unreached part of the country
● 403b retirement plan with matching provision
Please send resume to [email protected] . Also, please use your cover letter to share a bit
about who you are and why you think being an Executive Pastor/Organizational Maven in Coastal
Maine is both scary and exciting. In addition, please provide a brief overview of your theological core
beliefs as well as a list of the top 5 authors that have influenced your thinking.